What is knurling? Parmigiani Fleurier Explains

What is knurling? Parmigiani Fleurier Explains

Postby Racer-X » June 6th 2017, 8:09pm

by Editor "Outside of fine watchmaking, knurling is quite common. Knurling is a manufacturing process, typically conducted on a lathe, whereby a pattern of straight, angled or crossed lines is cut or rolled into the material. You know it when you see it!

When it comes to watchmaking, however, knurling is a rare art. Enter Parmigiani Fleurier who would like to shed more light on this artisanal craft. And rightly so, as one of Parmigiani’s signature details is the iconic knurled bezel of its Toric Collection."

Article at Perpetuelle
Last edited by Racer-X on August 9th 2017, 5:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 3849
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: What is knurling? Parmigiani Fleurier Explains

Postby conjurer » June 6th 2017, 9:28pm

Dangnabit, Mr. X, I know how much trouble you go to bringing us interesting and informative blogs and posts, but this wartche is seriously ghey. It is Wagnerianly ghey. Indeed, it looks like something the Merm would sell, along with his 55 inch belts.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 23834
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: What is knurling? Parmigiani Fleurier Explains

Postby Racer-X » June 6th 2017, 9:41pm

Well, the article is about knurling, my friend, but yeah.
Last edited by Racer-X on August 9th 2017, 5:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 3849
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: What is knurling? Parmigiani Fleurier Explains

Postby Falstaff » June 7th 2017, 4:55am

conjurer wrote:Dangnabit, Mr. X, I know how much trouble you go to bringing us interesting and informative blogs and posts, but this wartche is seriously ghey. It is Wagnerianly ghey. Indeed, it looks like something the Merm would sell, along with his 55 inch belts.



Well, I like Wagner and I like this wartche, so just call me Caitlyn.
"Come and take them!"
User avatar
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 6361
Joined: August 31st 2010, 10:00pm

Re: What is knurling? Parmigiani Fleurier Explains

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 7th 2017, 11:14am

The watch is a wee bit Breguet-esque, although it would be better off without the knurling on the bezel. Without it, it would have a nice, 1930s-1940s style step bezel. Although frankly, that bezel doesn't bother me. The cabochon crown looks slightly out of place, a flat and wide standard crown would look much better in there.

Mr. Conjurer, would you mind if I asked, what exactly is so ghey about Wagner? Not that I'm particularly fond of all the music that he composed, but when I hear the Ride of the Valkyries, I think of the scene from Apocalypse Now, where the Hueys destroy that NVA base, rather than of gheys. I can't quite see anything obviously ghey about the watch either... Unless it has some hidden compartment in the case, for storing vaseline.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 761
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: What is knurling? Parmigiani Fleurier Explains

Postby svaglic » June 7th 2017, 12:06pm

To me, that is a work of art. I love that dial.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
User avatar
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 3584
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm

Re: What is knurling? Parmigiani Fleurier Explains

Postby biglove » June 7th 2017, 2:48pm

svaglic wrote:To me, that is a work of art. I love that dial.



I concur. The double knurled bezel version is a bit much; but, the single is sweet.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 9974
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: What is knurling? Parmigiani Fleurier Explains

Postby jason_recliner » June 7th 2017, 3:27pm

Ghey as.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 7295
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: What is knurling? Parmigiani Fleurier Explains

Postby jason_recliner » June 7th 2017, 3:34pm

Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 7295
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: What is knurling? Parmigiani Fleurier Explains

Postby bedlam » June 7th 2017, 7:19pm

That watch is the Liberace of knurling.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
User avatar
bedlam
Master of Time
 
Posts: 6752
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)

Re: What is knurling? Parmigiani Fleurier Explains

Postby conjurer » June 7th 2017, 11:01pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:The watch is a wee bit Breguet-esque, although it would be better off without the knurling on the bezel. Without it, it would have a nice, 1930s-1940s style step bezel. Although frankly, that bezel doesn't bother me. The cabochon crown looks slightly out of place, a flat and wide standard crown would look much better in there.

Mr. Conjurer, would you mind if I asked, what exactly is so ghey about Wagner? Not that I'm particularly fond of all the music that he composed, but when I hear the Ride of the Valkyries, I think of the scene from Apocalypse Now, where the Hueys destroy that NVA base, rather than of gheys. I can't quite see anything obviously ghey about the watch either... Unless it has some hidden compartment in the case, for storing vaseline.


Well, Mr. Bloke, since you took the time to ask, I suppose I should answer.

I myself have seen a couple of Herr Wagner's operas (or, as he called them, musical dramas.) They were The Flying Dutchman, Tristan und Isolde, and Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, which is supposed to be a comedy, only I didn't laugh a lot, not knowing German, but my brother did, who took me. All were seen at the Lyric Opera of Chicago, way back. All were stultifying boring, like tantric sex, where you put it in and not move--which to me is a bad way to miss the late news. However, surprisingly, the operas I attended were surprisingly moving--the sheer effort that went into them, the overwhelming amount of music, had me shooting off like Peter North.

When I speak of "Wagnerianly ghey," I mean the overwhelmingly gheyness of the subject. Wagner, himself dead butch, was able to write music like this.

I hope this explains things.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 23834
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: What is knurling? Parmigiani Fleurier Explains

Postby Mark1 » June 8th 2017, 12:06am

jason_recliner wrote:Knurling done right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkrofhvC66g


It took me a bit to see what was happening there. Since I am at work now I can take solace in that I was paid to watch it.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
User avatar
Mark1
Founding Member
 
Posts: 6901
Joined: December 19th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: What is knurling? Parmigiani Fleurier Explains

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 8th 2017, 5:36am

conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:The watch is a wee bit Breguet-esque, although it would be better off without the knurling on the bezel. Without it, it would have a nice, 1930s-1940s style step bezel. Although frankly, that bezel doesn't bother me. The cabochon crown looks slightly out of place, a flat and wide standard crown would look much better in there.

Mr. Conjurer, would you mind if I asked, what exactly is so ghey about Wagner? Not that I'm particularly fond of all the music that he composed, but when I hear the Ride of the Valkyries, I think of the scene from Apocalypse Now, where the Hueys destroy that NVA base, rather than of gheys. I can't quite see anything obviously ghey about the watch either... Unless it has some hidden compartment in the case, for storing vaseline.


Well, Mr. Bloke, since you took the time to ask, I suppose I should answer.

I myself have seen a couple of Herr Wagner's operas (or, as he called them, musical dramas.) They were The Flying Dutchman, Tristan und Isolde, and Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, which is supposed to be a comedy, only I didn't laugh a lot, not knowing German, but my brother did, who took me. All were seen at the Lyric Opera of Chicago, way back. All were stultifying boring, like tantric sex, where you put it in and not move--which to me is a bad way to miss the late news. However, surprisingly, the operas I attended were surprisingly moving--the sheer effort that went into them, the overwhelming amount of music, had me shooting off like Peter North.

When I speak of "Wagnerianly ghey," I mean the overwhelmingly gheyness of the subject. Wagner, himself dead butch, was able to write music like this.

I hope this explains things.

Explanation 10/10 :lol:

Yup, all clear now- what was meant as a fairly universal measure of magnitude, I have mistaken for a specific measure of watch gheyness.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
 
Posts: 761
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm

Re: What is knurling? Parmigiani Fleurier Explains

Postby TemerityB » June 8th 2017, 4:08pm

I dunno. Is the watch in the original post my style? No, not at all. Do I admire the holy heck out of the incredible amount of craftsmanship and skill it takes to produce something that perfectly executed? Oh, hell, yeah.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 12773
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: New York City

Re: What is knurling? Parmigiani Fleurier Explains

Postby Mortuus » June 8th 2017, 4:42pm

I thought it was spelled "gnurling"...and THAT watch is no more ghey than a Cartier Ballon Bleu or a Pasha...oh, wait...

I dunno about you, Conj; for someone as much an avowed 'lefty' as you, you're sure turning into a


Image Image Image Image.
"The trouble with internet quotes is that they're very difficult to prove as having actually been said by that person." - Abraham Lincoln
User avatar
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 8162
Joined: February 3rd 2012, 11:00pm
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA


Return to General Watch talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests