Adam Craniotes, Founder of Redbar Crew

Adam Craniotes, Founder of Redbar Crew

Postby koimaster » May 31st 2017, 10:38am

The watch community at large is a truly massive network. Around the world, collectors and enthusiasts gather to online forums, social media, and comment sections. And thanks to Adam Craniotes, they also congregate in-person at Redbar events all over.

Craniotes founded the Redbar Crew in 2007 with Dr. Jeffrey Jacques. The two met at a lunch held by Michael Kobold of Kobold Watches, hit it off, and started meeting once a month to get a drink and talk watches. They kept adding people to their monthly meet-ups, and the Redbar Group grew into a global organization, with chapters around the United States and several internationally. Their members come from all walks of life. Collectors, yes, but it’s a group of people with a passion for all watches, not just the rare and expensive ones. You won’t find any snobs among their ranks.

https://blog.crownandcaliber.com/interv ... dbar-crew/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Adam Craniotes, Founder of Redbar Crew

Postby tiktok » May 31st 2017, 11:07am

He went off on me when I posted on WUS my negative experience with Glycine.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » May 31st 2017, 11:18am

tiktok wrote:He went off on me when I posted on WUS my negative experience with Glycine.

I think he is a member at DWC. A guy there using that Id. I find that there are some watch collectors out in the real world who think they are experts in all things horology and fashion. Never ceases to amaze me at times.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby foghorn » May 31st 2017, 11:48am

When he stated that the Kobold Seal "sang to me" I discounted anything further he might have to say.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 31st 2017, 11:57am

tiktok wrote:He went off on me when I posted on WUS my negative experience with Glycine.

Wonder how did that look, but on WUS, threads concerning negative experiences of a brand usually attract some people, who will crusade for their favourite brand (or simply one they're fond of), in a best case scenario only praising the brand in question and saying "you're wrong" (once in a while bothering to justify that). On WUS, it's easy to get an earful for criticising any brand, especially if it concerns "forum darlings" or controversial brands. On a few occasions I had to deal with rabid Invicter fans (owning north of 50 Invicters, and carrying that shit in briefcases), but oddly enough, also with a particularly vicious Baume & Mercier (which isn't controversial, neither is it a forum darling) fanatic, who in a "help me choose" thread couldn't stomach anyone not recommending a B&M.

Until now, I have been largely unaware of the fact of existence of Mr. Craniotes and Redbar- are they anything interesting, or have I not missed much by not knowing anything about them?

Also, I haven't seen Craniotes post on WUS- I don't know if I simply don't check the sub-forum that he posts in, the threads that he posts in didn't attract my attention, or did he get banned?
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby tiktok » May 31st 2017, 4:44pm

Here's the post, I'm kind of embarrassed that the topic turned into a slug fest but the amount of Glycine QC issues did keep growing after I split.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f18/disappointment-glycine-combat-sub-2797290.html#/topics/2797290?page=1
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 31st 2017, 5:29pm

No reason for embarrassment there, if you ask me. That's a fairly common way things go on WUS' brand forums. It matters not, whether one calmly explains the nature of a bad experience with a watch by a particular manufacturer, or vents frustration with a solid rant - the troglodytes will drag the thread down anyway.

Seen similar things happen in the Omega forum, the fanboys there are rather jumpy as well. One or two yobs (like the Craniotes bloke) start barking, and then are joined by a chorus of fanboys and yes men applauding them. Looking at the posts by Craniotes, guess I've got my answer- I haven't missed much by never having heard of him before.

Looks like only a few people there managed to respond in a civilised way- most of the posters in that thread are unknown to me, except Emre; he's a decent fella (his posts were some of the few good ones in that thread), who runs an excellent vintage Glycine resource website (Glycintennial).
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » June 1st 2017, 2:41am

tiktok wrote:Here's the post, I'm kind of embarrassed that the topic turned into a slug fest but the amount of Glycine QC issues did keep growing after I split.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f18/disappointment-glycine-combat-sub-2797290.html#/topics/2797290?page=1

Fragile product and erratic QA, lead to the subsequent Invicta acquisition, now they are crap....
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all…Papa.”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » June 1st 2017, 2:55am

Adam seemed like one of the more reasonable and thoughtful individuals at DWC...a rare commodity over there
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » June 1st 2017, 9:10am

bedlam wrote:Adam seemed like one of the more reasonable and thoughtful individuals at DWC...a rare commodity over there

Only know he hates trump and was a ad writer or something for Macys.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Return to General Watch talk