Why People Still Wear Watches

Why People Still Wear Watches

Postby koimaster » May 13th 2017, 10:00am

It is not news to anyone that technology has usurped many of the functions once served solely by wristwatches.

Electric lighting, for example, supplanted the need for minute repeaters--watches that sound out the time, aiding the wearer when they are in complete darkness--and dive computers replaced the dive watch as a necessity, though many divers still don one as a back-up.

http://www.nationaljeweler.com/blog/533 ... ar-watches

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Why People Still Wear Watches

Postby Rusty » May 13th 2017, 11:32am

I wear a watch for the simplest of reasons...to impress chicks....not.

Really, just to tell time.
Rusty
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 13th 2017, 1:15pm

I only started "getting into" watches about 12 years ago, and I've never stopped to ask myself why. I can't even give an answer. I'm hoping this hobby eventually becomes what all my earlier ones became: My job. That's pretty much the truth - anything I was into in my formative years I eventually got a job working at one way or another. One more time, lord.

Oh, and Elisabeth Austin can wear my watch anytime. :wink:
Watch Country of Origin: Final assembly changed to China, effective 8-9-2016 - Invicta: The watch industry's eternal punchline

"I have several hundred Invicta watches and enjoy them all." - Dolt With A 55-Inch Reversible Belt
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Thunder1 » May 13th 2017, 2:01pm

1)They're jewelry for males..2)they're miniature examples of mechanical wonders..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby foghorn » May 13th 2017, 2:59pm

I wear watches to show that I'm a failure.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Britboy » May 13th 2017, 4:04pm

I have always worn a watch since I was a young lad, had a pocket watch for a while when I was in the military.
Feel totally naked without a watch on.
Now I have watches for tons of different occasions.
Britboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » May 13th 2017, 6:26pm

The story that watches are the only jewelry available for men is logically strange.

Men looking for jewelry can buy all sorts of jewelry, and they do. Necklaces, bracelets, bangles, cufflinks, rings, etc. Watches can be jewelry but I'd venture they are jewelry second, in the same way a car can act as "man jewelry".

Guys want a car for its utility first and then will chose a specific car based on other things like performance, looks, and the perception of status it provides. I think that is exactly the same for watches. There would be very few people out there who bought a watch as jewelry who didn't primarily want it to tell the time.

The think the "watches are only man jewelry" argument is (mostly) bogus.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Watchlord WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 13th 2017, 6:56pm

Yup. The part about them being "the only man jewelry" is pretty much a load of bollocks. I could say, that a watch is the only jewelry I wear, save for a pair of 1950s silver cufflinks, inherited from my grandfather. But the part about the watch being a piece of jewelry is as imprecise as it could get. A watch can be a tool, a piece of jewelry, of fine mechanics, of art, of technology... Or some of these- or all- at once.
Do you think I'm a hypocrite? Well, you should. I wouldn't disagree with you.
Francis J. "Frank" Underwood

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk