Could you ever be truly happy with cheaper watches?

Re: Could you ever be truly happy with cheaper watches?

Postby codguy » May 14th 2017, 6:16am

I'm done purchasing cheaper watches. I honestly get more pleasure wearing the pricier ones.
If that sounds a bit pompous, tough shit, no one else is footing my bill. While I'll never have a collection like IWB, it would be nice!

I have been slowly whittling away at my collection, most of which were gifted to friends/family/charity. Hope to be down to about five or so with all costing north of $2k. ymmv

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby abduksion » May 14th 2017, 8:12am

codguy wrote:I'm done purchasing cheaper watches. I honestly get more pleasure wearing the pricier ones.
If that sounds a bit pompous, tough shit, no one else is footing my bill. While I'll never have a collection like IWB, it would be nice!

I have been slowly whittling away at my collection, most of which were gifted to friends/family/charity. Hope to be down to about five or so with all costing north of $2k. ymmv

I completely understand what you mean all these yrs I spend money on lesser priced watches I could of gotten
something nice do I regret it? Not in a way most would cause i liked what I bought but now I seem to be like you
said a bit pompous. I'll still be happy with a $1k-1,500 watch since I've never owned or bought one that high.
[b]I just wasted ten minutes reading that thread, what a total bag of shit
in memory of bigedsurf. Life's is too short give a rats ass what others think
about the watches I buy and wear.
abduksion

Postby smellody » May 14th 2017, 8:14am

Some may be happy. I've conditioned myself not to be.
In 2000 I had to sell my first Rolex to make a couple house payments. I felt like a neutered Tomcat. I was NOT happy.

I was happy when I replaced it two years later.

I recently started acquiring more substantial pieces in PM. They are the new norm. I have a box of stainless watches getting little attention.

Thinking of consolidating further and getting a platinum watch.

I'm a lucky boy, and this also makes me Happy, because the watches I favour are iconic symbols and desired by the majority of the world (sans many of the members on this forum).

To say I'd be happy with more expensive watches of other marks, I say I doubt it. I do not fancy other marks.

Happiness is relative to personal experience, taste, and expectation.

I challenge some of you skeptics (not including the commies) to put a gold Rolex on your wrist. Wear it for a couple of days then take it off and wear something else. I predict the experience would change you if you are being honest with yourself.

Happi

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby abduksion » May 14th 2017, 8:26am

smellody wrote:Some may be happy. I've conditioned myself not to be.
In 2000 I had to sell my first Rolex to make a couple house payments. I felt like a neutered Tomcat. I was NOT happy.

I was happy when I replaced it two years later.

I recently started acquiring more substantial pieces in PM. They are the new norm. I have a box of stainless watches getting little attention.

Thinking of consolidating further and getting a platinum watch.

I'm a lucky boy, and this also makes me Happy, because the watches I favour are iconic symbols and desired by the majority of the world (sans many of the members on this forum).

To say I'd be happy with more expensive watches of other marks, I say I doubt it. I do not fancy other marks.

Happiness is relative to personal experience, taste, and expectation.

I challenge some of you skeptics (not including the commies) to put a gold Rolex on your wrist. Wear it for a couple of days then take it off and wear something else. I predict the experience would change you if you are being honest with yourself.

Happi

You would honestly be the first person I know of who would have a solid platinum watch. And I agree
with the solid Gold Rolex thing I still remember the first time I went to a Rolex dealer and tried on a solid
Yellow gold Sub on I was like wow this is what luxury is was a little sad I had to take it off.
[b]I just wasted ten minutes reading that thread, what a total bag of shit
in memory of bigedsurf. Life's is too short give a rats ass what others think
about the watches I buy and wear.
abduksion

Postby biglove » May 14th 2017, 10:15am

With rare exception my favorite watches have all run north of $500, most above $1K. While I enjoy less expensive watches, I generally find them lacking in the fit and finish that I desire in a watch.

Watches that I treasure are part of what brings happiness to me at this point in my life and this has been so for many years. It is just that I can now afford some of those I have always wanted.

It isn't pretentious, just what is true for me.

If I somehow got rich overnight, my first purchases would be a Platinum Day-Date with the ice blue dial and diamond hour markers. Then it would be on to an 18k GMT. That's almost $100K combined and likely won't ever happen; but, those are (I despise the term) my "grails."

I usually wind up giving away or selling at such a low price to another WL that it is a steal, watches that I don't bond with.

In the last three months we have paid off my wife's student loans, bought a new home, gifted our youngest daughter a car, are saving up for my wife's MBA in finance so we will pay cash for that degree. It is our goal to pay off my student loans in less than three years. We owe only on my student loans, the house and my new car. We have finally managed to put back six months of salary in savings. My focus has changed these last months, not just with my hobby; but, with life in general.

Watches still matter though. And higher quality watches even more so; but, there are some fantastic watches out there for under $1K. Under $500 those finds get pretty slim, at least for what I expect in a watch.

That's the great thing about this hobby, so many choices.

If you want a Rolex, save up for one. $100/month saved will get you there fairly quickly, just takes patience and determination. A great place to start would be a Citizen Signature for under $1K; but, if what you really desire is a Rolex or Omega, nothing else is going to scratch that itch, no matter what you buy.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Previous

Return to General Watch talk