Are In-House Movements Crucial?

Are In-House Movements Crucial?

Postby koimaster » May 9th 2017, 9:38am

An In-house Movement is Essential For a 21st-century Watchmaking House.

The motion–that in the 21st century every watchmaking company should have an in-house movement– is one that I whole-heartedly support. I will put forward my side of the argument with the following three points: in-house movements ensure independence in the watchmaking industry; the ability to produce in-house movements demonstrates a watchmaking company’s technical skills; and in-house movements enable companies to control the quality of the timepieces they produce.

Firstly, in-house movements have now become essential for a company’s independence in the watchmaking industry. For example, when the 2015 uncoupling of the Swiss franc and Euro currencies negatively impacted all the watchmaking companies that source parts or entire watch movements from Switzerland, Nomos Glashütte remained relatively unaffected. This is because we produce our own movements and indeed almost all the parts for them and, therefore, do not depend on third-party suppliers. Another recent case is when Nivarox started to reduce deliveries of essential watchmaking parts in 2012, which has shown just how important this self-reliance can be for the health and future growth of watchmaking companies.

https://www.revolution.watch/are-in-hou ... s-crucial/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Are In-House Movements Crucial?

Postby Hawk » May 9th 2017, 9:56am

"In house" is too fuzzy of a concept and seems to have been growing fuzzier whether it's TAG's 1887 in-house that was designed in Seiko's house or Bremont's in-house La Joux-Peret.

DD seems to be soldiering along and nobody would kick an ETA Tudor or Omega out for eating crackers in bed. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rolex Daytonas with El Primero movements actually commanding a premium.

Plus when those Swiss and Germans get to arguing about in-house they would probably rather forget that the king shit of in-house is Seiko.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Thunder1 » May 9th 2017, 10:09am

Are in-house movements crucial?...No, but some are Co-Axial(I thought I'd try to beat Foggy to this one)....
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 9th 2017, 10:21am

Frankly, the hubbub over "truly" in-house (meaning every component) movements doesn't bug me nearly as much as movements that are simply renamed and/or decorated, or minorly modified, like what Hamilton, Oris, and other Swiss brands do to make them sound or seem "special." If it's a freakin' ETA or Sellita, just call it what it is instead of an "H-21" or "Oris 733." It's like when Bayer knows the patent on a prescription drug is about to expire, so they add a new, inert or extra ingredient, rename the stuff, and come out with a "new product" so they can continue to gouge people with prescription prices when the same stuff is actually available OTC. Rick Kalina ain't alone.

I know i'm jejune, but companies like Seiko, Rolex, and ETA's wares are good enough for me; knowing that a fixable, good quality movement is used in what I've paid good scratch for is what's important at my level of hobbyist.
"I don't have pet peeves - I have major psychotic fucking hatreds." – George Carlin
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby eddiea » May 9th 2017, 11:19am

Service prices are higher, some of those so called "in-house' are just mediocre ...so, unless we are looking at the very high-end? A good ETA chronometer grade is hard to beat
“Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine…”
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » May 9th 2017, 12:25pm

eddiea wrote:A good ETA chronometer grade is hard to beat

Much more succinct than the way I put it, but that's it in a nutshell.
"I don't have pet peeves - I have major psychotic fucking hatreds." – George Carlin
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » May 9th 2017, 2:21pm

I'll take lemania over valjoux all day but to illustrate the easy peasy of eta I have a Mark XVI Spitfire with ETA inside and had a movement issue. My watchmaker fixed it for his standard fee in two days. Earlier Marks had Jaeger inside and he told me it would take two weeks to source the parts plus a premium on the service work. So for a watch that was not something special the eta was a much better deal.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 9th 2017, 4:25pm

Hawk wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see Rolex Daytonas with El Primero movements actually commanding a premium.

They already do, the fairly contemporary (1988-2000) Daytonas already sell for way more than their MSRP. The "dealers"- various Bains, Marons and Morons - made the EP movement yet another part of the hype.

Regarding the matter of in-house movements... Are they a must? No. Is it good for a manufacturer to have an in-house movement? Yes. Even if it's just for the sake of diversification.
Do you think I'm a hypocrite? Well, you should. I wouldn't disagree with you.
Francis J. "Frank" Underwood

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby smellody » May 9th 2017, 7:29pm

I like Rolex movements. They do a pretty good job. ETA are pretty reliable too. The 6498 in my Railmaster or the 6497 in my Panerai were nicely decorated but not in-house. Rolex movements are in house.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby bedlam » May 9th 2017, 7:38pm

In house is a mixed bag IMO. It's broadly commendable from a horological standpoint...but can really complicate servicing for the end-user.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 9th 2017, 8:00pm

smellody wrote:I like Rolex movements. They do a pretty good job. ETA are pretty reliable too. The 6498 in my Railmaster or the 6497 in my Panerai were nicely decorated but not in-house. Rolex movements are in house.

The current ones, yes- but historically, Rolex movements were for a long time probably the most eclectic mix I've ever seen. Outsourced (Cortebert, Alpina...), co-designed (with Alpina and Gruen), "reserved" (made for them only by an external supplier- Aegler, Rebberg; FEF, ETA, AS, FHF and Peseux for Tudor), heavily modified generic (Valjoux, FHF). Most of the in-house movements were actually designed and supplied by their subsidiary, Aegler (which they bought out in the 1930s, if I remember correctly).
Do you think I'm a hypocrite? Well, you should. I wouldn't disagree with you.
Francis J. "Frank" Underwood

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby tiktok » May 9th 2017, 8:14pm

this runs pretty good:

tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Wasp » May 10th 2017, 5:35am

Having an in-house movement option does add a degree of prestige to the mark. Does that quality migrate to the out sourced movements that are supplied and tweaked...maybe.
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk