Seiko modification finally completed by the right damn strap

Seiko modification finally completed by the right damn strap

Postby Nuvolari » May 7th 2017, 12:48pm

So, many moons ago I bought a very inexpensive Seiko 5 on impulse, just because - well, it's a Seiko and it was a cheapie price on a DoD site, maybe BlingDaily? Is that still around? Whatever. I bought it, and liked it.

BUT, I didn't love it, so I mod'd it myowndamnself with a Yobokies no-date dial and handset. I struggled to find a damn strap that, in my opinion, "worked". 20mm leather & orange stitch notched to fit 18mm lugs? Meh...

NATO? I guess...

Didn't really tickle my fancybone. Then, late one night while shaking off a too-large and too-late RedBull, I stumbled onto an blow-out-priced tread-patterned strap with deployment clasp that is real close to matching the matte finished case. Sold by a Canadian dude, so I felt pretty good about the wildcard... and he was totally cool, eh? Like no problems and prompt shipping... wish to hell I could remember his name, but it doesn't matter because this was his last one.

And I'm glad I didn't miss it - it's the missing link since I assumed I would never find a strap I liked with the dial. There was just a touch of regret - but now I completely dig the post-tinker result.

All for less than what you'd spend on a panel of venereal disease tests. I mean, I would assume... I'm not really sure what that would cost, but I'm pretty sure Conjurer would know, so you can PM him.

I kissed a lot of damn toads before I found a Charming strap, Nyuk Nuuk :D

Cheers gents, thanks for reading! :o
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Re: Seiko modification finally completed by the right damn s

Postby tiktok » May 7th 2017, 1:07pm

Nuvo, that is totally cool story about hands on horology. The strap looks like it rose out of the La Brea tar pit and I always enjoy how you take a sliver of your automobile fetish and bring it into the photos.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » May 7th 2017, 2:48pm

Umm, yeah, the strap is a perfect match for that baby...congrats..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » May 7th 2017, 3:23pm

So satisfying to find the right damn strap. Got a box full of no-go's over here. I also enjoy the automobiles you incorporate Nuvo.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 7th 2017, 3:26pm

As someone who does my own bracelet and battery changes but skulks away from anything that would take actual skill, I applaud those with the acumen to do mods. Fun stuff, man.
Watch Country of Origin: Final assembly changed to China, effective 8-9-2016 - Invicta: The watch industry's eternal punchline
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » May 7th 2017, 3:59pm

Great looking mod and the strap brings it together well.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to General Watch talk