Seiko modification finally completed by the right damn strap

Seiko modification finally completed by the right damn strap

Postby Nuvolari » May 7th 2017, 12:48pm

So, many moons ago I bought a very inexpensive Seiko 5 on impulse, just because - well, it's a Seiko and it was a cheapie price on a DoD site, maybe BlingDaily? Is that still around? Whatever. I bought it, and liked it.

BUT, I didn't love it, so I mod'd it myowndamnself with a Yobokies no-date dial and handset. I struggled to find a damn strap that, in my opinion, "worked". 20mm leather & orange stitch notched to fit 18mm lugs? Meh...

NATO? I guess...

Didn't really tickle my fancybone. Then, late one night while shaking off a too-large and too-late RedBull, I stumbled onto an blow-out-priced tread-patterned strap with deployment clasp that is real close to matching the matte finished case. Sold by a Canadian dude, so I felt pretty good about the wildcard... and he was totally cool, eh? Like no problems and prompt shipping... wish to hell I could remember his name, but it doesn't matter because this was his last one.

And I'm glad I didn't miss it - it's the missing link since I assumed I would never find a strap I liked with the dial. There was just a touch of regret - but now I completely dig the post-tinker result.

All for less than what you'd spend on a panel of venereal disease tests. I mean, I would assume... I'm not really sure what that would cost, but I'm pretty sure Conjurer would know, so you can PM him.

I kissed a lot of damn toads before I found a Charming strap, Nyuk Nuuk :D

Cheers gents, thanks for reading! :o
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Re: Seiko modification finally completed by the right damn s

Postby tiktok » May 7th 2017, 1:07pm

Nuvo, that is totally cool story about hands on horology. The strap looks like it rose out of the La Brea tar pit and I always enjoy how you take a sliver of your automobile fetish and bring it into the photos.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » May 7th 2017, 2:48pm

Umm, yeah, the strap is a perfect match for that baby...congrats..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » May 7th 2017, 3:23pm

So satisfying to find the right damn strap. Got a box full of no-go's over here. I also enjoy the automobiles you incorporate Nuvo.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 7th 2017, 3:26pm

As someone who does my own bracelet and battery changes but skulks away from anything that would take actual skill, I applaud those with the acumen to do mods. Fun stuff, man.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » May 7th 2017, 3:59pm

Great looking mod and the strap brings it together well.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to General Watch talk