Sizing Down: Are Smaller Case Sizes Making A Comeback?

Sizing Down: Are Smaller Case Sizes Making A Comeback?

Postby Racer-X » May 3rd 2017, 3:49pm

by Michael Thomas Penate "There’s no denying the appeal of a great, hefty watch. But over the past few years, we’ve seen the trend of large 46mm+ case sizes waning down a bit. This was especially apparent at both Baselworld and SIHH this year, where we witnessed brands like Blancpain and IWC announce flagship releases that were tastefully sized at around 40mm or less. Is this an indicator that brands will continue to let their mid-century roots guide their design trends?"

Article at Haute Time
Last edited by Racer-X on August 9th 2017, 5:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Sizing Down: Are Smaller Case Sizes Making A Comeback?

Postby foghorn » May 3rd 2017, 4:03pm

Comeback? They never went away.
GET OFF MY LAWN
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby eddiea » May 3rd 2017, 4:08pm

foghorn wrote:Comeback? They never went away.

I would agree...
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all"…Papa.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 3rd 2017, 4:45pm

Truth be told, while they never went away, for a while they became less abundant. Or at least the manufacturers tended to give more publicity to the bigger watches, with little or no watches at 40mm or less in offer. Regarding the smaller watches making a comeback on a larger scale, only last year Omega tried to advertise the smaller, 39.5mm Planet Ocean as a ladies' watch. Which is nothing strange coming from a company, which starts calling a watch "XXL" only when it's sized 49.5mm (they stopped calling the 45.5mm PO "XXL" after some time, and I still haven't forgotten that Unitas-powered Aqua Terra Railmaster behemoth, something quite as ghastly is hardly forgettable). Apparently no one gave a fuck about Omega's marketing, because so far, the most of the 39.5mm PO buyers appear to be men- at least I have heard nothing about the watch becoming wildly popular with the female part of Omega's clientele. Even "watch journalists", ever the industry's lapdogs, had a hard time agreeing with Omega's line of marketing.

Anyway, it's not really the size of the watch that matters, it's the design and proportions. An oversized logo, hour markers and hands designed to look squeezed into a smaller package, can make a 42mm look like a ladies' watch.

Sadly, the marketing of various Invictas and other makers of 50mm pish and shite piles of rubbish has seriously fucked up the collective understanding of the importance of the size of the watch, making a lot of people think, that the peculiar notion of the strength in numbers being any important in that respect is to be taken seriously. When only recently I've seen one "journalist" claim that a 36mm Datejust or Day-Date looks like it was borrowed from a girlfriend or wife, I wondered on what planet is that so, and what planet does that fucking donkey live on. Who like who, but Rolex never got the size wrong- maybe the latest Sea-Dweller is an exception.

Anyway, while the author of the article about the small sizes making a comeback might be exaggerating, I'm glad that it's this trend that gets the coverage- the period from the 1930s to the 1970s is my favourite era in watch design, sort of a "golden age." So while I may not like it when someone puts way too much pathos into describing a shift in the general trend, I certainly appreciate the shift itself.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » May 3rd 2017, 4:56pm

Still enjoy my big watches as well, regardless of fashion trends....
eddiea

Postby bedlam » May 3rd 2017, 5:02pm

Cases between 42-46mm have always been my preference....nothing is likely to change about that.

And to me most chronos need to be 40mm or more for the sub-dials to be easy to read and not feel crowded
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » May 3rd 2017, 5:06pm

bedlam wrote:Cases between 42-46mm have always been my preference....nothing is likely to change about that.

And to me most chronos need to be 40mm or more for the sub-dials to be easy to read and not feel crowded

Yup....adding that (in my book) Pilot models beg to be as close to the original idea, as possible...
eddiea

Postby abduksion » May 3rd 2017, 5:20pm

eddiea wrote:
foghorn wrote:Comeback? They never went away.

I would agree...

Was gonna say the same thing.
[b]I just wasted ten minutes reading that thread, what a total bag of shit
in memory of bigedsurf. Life's is too short give a rats ass what others think
about the watches I buy and wear.
abduksion

Postby smellody » May 3rd 2017, 5:51pm

36 to 40 is the sweet spot. Anything larger is highly uncivilized.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby bedlam » May 3rd 2017, 5:56pm

smellody wrote:36 to 40 is the sweet spot. Anything larger is highly uncivilized.

Its hard to even imagine what Rolex might dream up to charge for a full-size watch!
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby tiktok » May 3rd 2017, 6:00pm

I just got an Omega Seamaster 36mm in a trade down. Looking forward to it. Always pass it to the wife and tell her how much I..... 📥
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby abduksion » May 3rd 2017, 6:15pm

My taste changes I'd wear a 50MM RD one week and the next I'd be back at 36-46mm?
Right now I've been wearing my new to me Sector 975 for a week and love the smaller 40mm size.
[b]I just wasted ten minutes reading that thread, what a total bag of shit
in memory of bigedsurf. Life's is too short give a rats ass what others think
about the watches I buy and wear.
abduksion

Postby artman » May 3rd 2017, 6:24pm

I'm comfortable with wearing 37mm to 44mm watches.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AntFarm » May 3rd 2017, 6:37pm

Everything I own is between 35mm to 43mm. I've tried larger and they do not look right on my small wrists.
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 3rd 2017, 6:47pm

I'm with fog and smells. I don't care about trends. Most of my watches are 36 to 42mm. I could give a gibbon's gizzard what the world wears.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 3rd 2017, 6:55pm

AntFarm wrote:Everything I own is between 35mm to 43mm. I've tried larger and they do not look right on my small wrists.

In my case, it's 32 to 43, so it's an even bigger range of different sizes... Theoretically I could pull off something like an IWC Big Pilot (probably the only watch, in which I wouldn't mind a 46mm diameter), with lug to lug length up to 56mm (my wrist size, depending on the temperature, is something circa 6.6-6.8 inches), but even if I could by any miracle get my hands on the BP (which is well out of my reach), I'd still rather spend that money on a few time-only 32-36mm watches from the 1950s.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk