Brick & Mortars in on Madison.

Brick & Mortars in on Madison.

Postby Wasp » April 20th 2017, 6:42am

Last night we had dinner with some friends at Café Bouloud in the Hotel Surry between 5th and Madison. We walked up Madison to kill some time and I went in the following high end watch stores. Officne Panerai, Hublot, Jaeger-LeCoultre, FP Journe, Vacheron Constantin and A. Lange & Sohne. Almost all of them had a man at the door to greet us and usher us in. It was a bit forward and uncomfortable. Nary a customer in any of them. At dinner Richard, a local who knows the business on the street told me that they are dying. "Internet business is killing them". Can the walk in traffic keep them alive? I doubt it.
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Brick & Mortars in on Madison.

Postby TemerityB » April 20th 2017, 7:20am

First off - if you're not from around NYC, welcome.

But I really don't agree about the boutiques - the facts don't bear it out. These stores are popping up left and right in midtown faster than we can keep track of them; while retailers like Kenjo are downsizing (by the way, they're now listing a different address as they reorganize), more and more boutiques are opening. I realize it doesn't seem logical, since all we're hearing is doom and gloom from the Swiss, but these things are popping up like mushrooms (Richard Mille just opened near my wife's office). NYC is a different animal; luxury fairly rules in these parts.
"I don't have pet peeves - I have major psychotic fucking hatreds." – George Carlin
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Brick & Mortars in on Madison.

Postby tiktok » April 20th 2017, 7:35am

Wasp wrote:Last night we had dinner with some friends at Café Bouloud in the Hotel Surry between 5th and Madison. We walked up Madison to kill some time and I went in the following high end watch stores. Officne Panerai, Hublot, Jaeger-LeCoultre, FP Journe, Vacheron Constantin and A. Lange & Sohne. Almost all of them had a man at the door to greet us and usher us in. It was a bit forward and uncomfortable.

First off, welcome to NYC. It's funny how as a New Yorker I've always wanted to try Bouloud but never got around to it. Glad you found the boutique strip and because they are so close mouthed about business I really couldn't say how far off business is but there is definitely a feeling on both fifth and Madison that shopping traffic is off. TB these flagship stores as much advertisements for the brand as actual places of business. But while you are in town how about a new Bvlgari for the missus?
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk