Scratchin' the itch on the cheap.

Scratchin' the itch on the cheap.

Postby foghorn » April 17th 2017, 1:52pm

Now that I have experienced most of the stages of WISdom I find myself satisfied (kinda) with my motley hoard of watches. This ,however , does not keep that nagging itch for one more from showing up. Since simply not adding to the group is pretty much out of the question and flipping and selling are a pain I decided to go cheap for my itch relief.
I started with the Dan Henrys but they weren't really what I call cheap and the fact that I got 3 in a row was more than I needed to spend just for a scratch. (but I'm glad I did) Then it was on to TJ's where I got a cool Skagen for about 50 bucks. (the mesh alone is worth that)

Then a Tissot budget line "Everytime" from Amazon one night in a drunken stupor. Just north of a c-note.

Today I picked up a watch for just over 50 bucks at Walmart. (44 on Amazon) I have looked at it and read tons of positive reviews but never bit until now. Best fucking el cheapo watch in the damn world. Odd that I have bought Chopard and Omegas on impulse (back in the day) but looked at this for almost 6 months before pulling the proverbial trigger.
I have a couple of big projects this summer in the yard and around the house and intend for this to be with me till the end.
I have reached the point where I get as much of a rush out of any new watch-so long as it suits my purpose. Whatever that is.

200m WR
Crown screws down like a champ
120 click bezel for you 120 click guys.
Second hand hits markers spot on for you second hand must hit the markers spot on guys.

This is the jinnies with their legahorns feinting to read in theirhandmade's book of stralegy while making their war undisidesthe Willingdone
foghorn
Founding Member

Re: Scratchin' the itch on the cheap.

Postby artman » April 17th 2017, 2:06pm

All 3 are winners especially that Tissot!
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Luftwafflles » April 17th 2017, 2:35pm

All very nice. Particularly the Tissot. I haven't bought a watch in over a year, though I've been tempted. But I have eleven, a motley mix of old Androids, Invictas, and a few non tv watches. I refuse to add to the pile, unless I can unload a few. Besides, plumbing and roof repairs take priority. Still love watches, even if I never buy another one.
I woke up this morning to discover a photo of myself sleeping. I live alone.

Luftwafflles
Senior Member & WIS

Postby JAS1125 » April 17th 2017, 3:19pm

All nice choices. ..I got the Casio over a year ago and it's a steal at that price
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby Hawk » April 17th 2017, 3:32pm

My first purchase after having discovered the intertubz generally and this forum specifically was a Seiko 5 in some sort of drill bit TiN gold-kinda-looking stuff with the world's cheapest mechanical movement.

Given the stuff I've sold or donated it's perhaps surprising that I have zero intention of ever losing that "gateway drug" of a 85.00 Seiko 5. It still gets worn from time to time.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Racer-X » April 17th 2017, 5:25pm

It's fun to see all the different strokes around here. Like all of these, and for that matter, I don't recall a watch you've bought that I didn't care for.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » April 17th 2017, 5:53pm

Fun stuff. And you're right - that Casio is the best inexpensive watch I can think of, excepting (maybe) those Malaysian Seiko SNKs.

Nothin' like scratchin' that itch. Sometmes, you just have to. Reminds me of picking up a couple of Tissots during the waning days of Kenjo - at half off list, I just had to.
"Funny how some things that start spontaneously end that way." - Neil Young
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » April 17th 2017, 8:56pm

Have owned the same Casio, loved it on an Omega mesh. One of, if not THE best watch bargains to be had.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby jaw » April 17th 2017, 9:18pm

I'll take the atypical Skagen 3-Eater.
jaw
Watchlord WIS

Postby Nuvolari » April 17th 2017, 9:22pm

Trifecta!
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » April 17th 2017, 10:10pm

Racer-X wrote:It's fun to see all the different strokes around here. Like all of these, and for that matter, I don't recall a watch you've bought that I didn't care for.

Ditto.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mortuus » April 17th 2017, 11:52pm

Very nice itchings & scratchings, foggy. That's a good place to be in your collective collections. Quite robustly so. Tony Danza sucks. As did Sanford & Son. :scratch:
Do Not Mistake My Kindness for Weakness.
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to General Watch talk